Join Rabbi Haber's mailing list:
Home What's New Blogs Store Dedications Weekly Parshah About TorahLab Contact Us Links

Community

The Network of the Jewish People

"Why Would Great Men Want To Kill Their Brother?" - Comments

1 yehoshua on 2010 11 26

BS"D
This is a most fascinating d’var Torah and I thank you for it.  At the same time, I am wondering if it applies to our holy work in Eretz Yisrael.  From the 1880’s until the present, the modern enterprise of settling Am Yisrael in Eretz Yisrael has been energized by people obsessed with a single idea who see everything through a very specific lens.  Let’s start with Herzl, a man who exhausted himself and died young (at the age of 44), completely devoted to the task of founding a Jewish state.  Or take Eliezer Ben-Yehuda and his obsession with making Hebrew into the national language of modern Israel.  Or look today at the idealists living in Yehuda and Shomron and the single-mindedness they bring to their endeavors.  There is nothing wrong with an agenda as long as it involves strengthening the nation of Israel in its homeland.  Thank you for your stimulating
divrei Torah and may you have the brightest Chanukah ever.

2 Tom on 2010 11 28

Thank You so much Rabbi Haber. That Question hows been bother me all week. Btw once were on the topic maybe you can help me understand how and why Yehuda did what he did his tamer?

Thank you so much.

3 Ploni on 2013 11 22

The same reasoning goes with all the different agendas of the different factions of Am Yisrael today.  We have the aliyah pushers of all stripes who insist that living in EY now is the best option for Jews, we have the Neturei Karta and the Satmars who are totally against Zionism, we have the tznius zealots who wish more Jews could be more tzanua, we have the modern religious Jews who are pushing the “open” agendas.  These are all religious Jews nonetheless.  Who is right?  Who has the courage to say what’s the best thing to do right now for Am Yisrael?

4 bobby on 2013 11 26

Poor judgement based on a misunderstanding is one thing, plotting to murder someone is quite another. What did the brothers say to each other all the years they saw their fathers unending grief? Didn’t the 10 martyrs we read about on Yom Kippur pay with their lives for the brothers “bias”? The brothers are being rationalized and let off too easily.

Leave a Comment

All fields are required. TorahLab's Privacy Policy can be viewed here.
Name
Email
Comment
  Notify me of follow-up comments?

In the box below, please enter the word you see in the image above:

-