Join Rabbi Haber's mailing list:
Home What's New Blogs Store Dedications Weekly Parshah About TorahLab Contact Us Links

Community

The Network of the Jewish People

"After The Flood" - Comments

1 Howard Schwartz on 2008 10 30

Yasher Koach...well said!

Shabbat Shalom, and Hatzlacha Rabbah on your “new start”.

2 Sarah Leah Stark on 2008 10 31

After a massive calamity in our own lives, we also get to decide ‘what our next project will be’ and, it could be a brocha or a curse, depending upon which derech we chose.

3 David on 2008 10 31

look at vegas -

4 charlotte on 2008 10 31

this pattern of benovolence and punishment back and forth is very intriguing. a shrink would have a field day analyzing our cultural mentality and the resulting problems the yo-yo effect has had on us. having said that, though, my question is, did God give Noah specific instructions for behavior after he left the ARk? Did he know what he was to do and not do it? If he did not know and, being human, reacted in a totally human way after 40 days in a shiip cooped up with animals, then is he really to blame and whya would his descendents be punished? why not punishe the one who commits the affront?  why are the children liabel for the sins of the father? Now, if Noah was nOT really a mere mortal human, as his father was not, then there is an entirely different concept here that I wold love to know about. l

5 desertdaughter1@hotmail.com on 2008 11 01

Rabbi, I read all of yiour articles. Very interesting dvar torah here. However, I can’t help but ask, was Noah given insructions by HaShem on wha tto do after the ark landed? did he violate what he was commanded to do and instead, probably ecstatic at being released from the confines of a hugh zoo and being again able to breateh fresh air and have a moment alone he planted the vines, saw the miracle of instant maturity and lost it in his moment of grateful freedom. Not that I even think I am in Noah’s mind. But if he was only a mere mortal, then he fell for a moment as we all do. And, whey shoud the sins of he fathers be visitied on the children if the children had no guilt in the sins of the father (or the mothers for that matter)?  That never seemed quite fair Why not Hashem simply punish the transgressor? Of course, if Noah was NOT a mere mortal man, then more was expected of him. Just looking at it from today’s world, a shrink would have a joyful career linking our cultural mentality to the constant love and punishment cycle from HaShem. We get so bad that HaShem has to knock us down and, after the wrath, He bestows all lovingkindness and miracles upon us once more. Sor do we go back to freedom of choice? If Hashem gives us freedom of choice, but knows what we will choose, then how is any mortal guilty for the choice HaSham knows in advance that mortal will make? and if the mortla makes that choice and it is the wrong choice, why punish the innocent descendants for the independent, albeit wrong, choice of the ancestor?

6 Ruthie Thurm on 2008 11 03

Shalom Aleichem and thank you for an insightful and elemental dvar; I gleaned much from your extrapolations…

May I ask how did it happen that the core of yiddishkeit was focused so radically on the success of the future of the Yeshiva world but/and not on the opportunity to rebuild Yerushalayim, through hakamas hamedinah, which could have successfully ushered in the era of Mashiach...?

7 Menachem Carroll on 2008 11 12

Rabbi, one thing I particularly appreciated was your acknowledging the two miracles of the State of Israel’s establishment and the regeneration of Torah learning.  It’s so important to emphasize BOTH!  The Jewish people need the spirituality and purity of Torah but also the secular State with all its shortcomings.  HaShem loves ALL Jews and so should we, black-hatted B’nai Torah and the secular non-observant who are also proud Jews and who care about their fellows alike.

Leave a Comment

All fields are required. TorahLab's Privacy Policy can be viewed here.
Name
Email
Comment
  Notify me of follow-up comments?

In the box below, please enter the word you see in the image above:

-